Saturday, October 6, 2012

Today is a Gift

"You will never have this day with your children again.

Today is a gift.

Breathe and notice.

Study their little faces and feet.

Relish the charms of the present.

Enjoy today, mama, it will be gone before you know it."

(quote by Jen Hatmaker from her book, Out of the Spin Cycle)

Yep, needed to read these words today.  It was one.of.those.days.  The kind of day where you just want to get in bed and pull the covers up over your head and hide.  Or stand in the pantry and eat Oreos.  Alone.  (Note: I may or may not have done one of the above mentioned activities.)

Being a mom is hard work!  It can sometimes be lonely, even when you seem to never get a moment alone.  I don't want to wish these chaotic days away.  I just want to say that it is hard.  That is all.  It is hard to hear a sweet giggle when there has been whining all day.  It is hard to notice a big brother give his baby sister a hug when they have been fighting over toys most of the day.  It is hard to just enjoy the day when the kitchen floor is covered in dropped cheerios and last night's dinner crumbs.  It is hard to balance playing with the kids and making sure that load of laundry gets put in the dryer, folded, and put away.  It is hard.

Older women frequently remind me that kids grow up so fast, and that one day I will miss these days.  I know it is true.  So as my kids grow up before my eyes, I know that God is using these days to grow me, too.

So on days like today, I remind myself that today is a gift.

2 comments: