Like it or not, twins attract a lot of attention. There is just something magical about multiples. The general public is fascinated by the idea of 2 (or more) babies being born at the same time. I admit that I too, before having twins, would generally go up to any family of multiples and start a conversation. They just seemed so interesting. As parents of 16 month old twins, my husband and I have always gotten a lot of comments about our twins. I think we have been asked every question there is, ranging from the very personal to the very dumb.
Although I did not come up with these comments, I have heard all of them at least once. So funny!
Dumbest Twin Comments (posted by Parents of Twins Journal)--
15. "I could never do it." (Oh, really. What would you do? Would you put them on the curb with signs around their necks that say, "Free to a good home. My mom can't do it."?)
14. "Do they have different personalities?" (No. They are the same human being divided into several parts.)
13. Said by a stranger, "They're identical, right?" Mom answers, "No. They're fraternal." Stranger response, "They are NOT!" (OK. You're right. I have no idea what I'm talking about. These are not my children. I thought it would be fun to borrow them from a mom down at Baby Gap. It's been more than an hour. I guess I should return them.)
12. "Are they 'paternal' twins?" (Yes. They have a father. There was only one virgin birth.)
11. "Just wait till they're older. It only gets harder." (Thank you. I woke up this morning hoping I'd receive a word of discouragement while pushing a cart of preschoolers down the cereal aisle.
10. "When one cries, does she wake the other?" (No. Multiples cannot hear each other's cries because they all communicate with their special telepathic language only.)
9. From a perfect stranger: "Were they in the same sac?" (Hello. Nice to meet you, too. Will you be sharing your gynecological history with me as well?)
8. "Are they developmentally behind?" (Well, let's see. They're 3 years old and thus far, all their graduate school applications have been denied. We'll get back with you on that.)
7. "How do you do it?" (Haven't you seen the Nike commercials?)
6. "Are they natural?" (Nope, their arms and legs are made of silicone.)
5. "You must be SO busy." (Are you volunteering to clean my house?)
4. "Did you take drugs?" (Well, there was this one time in college...)
3. "What do you do when they all cry at the same time?" (Sometimes I cry. Sometimes I go to Starbucks.)
2. Said to a mom of boy/girl twins: "Are they identical?" (Uh. Not exactly.)
1. Only one comment could be voted No. 1. Drum roll, please. After a stranger had been informed that the toddler boys were twins, she asked a simple question: "Are they brothers?" (Enough said.)
I love being a mom of multiples, despite the funny comments and attention! Here is a pic of my sweeties at the park yesterday...
and no, they are NOT identical! :)